By John Williams
In his nationwide publication Award–winning novel Augustus, John Williams exposed the secrets and techniques of historic Rome. With Butcher’s Crossing, his fiercely clever, superbly written western, Williams dismantles the myths of contemporary America.
It is the 1870s, and should Andrews, ﬁred up through Emerson to hunt “an unique relation to nature,” drops out of Harvard and heads west. He washes up in Butcher’s Crossing, a small Kansas city at the outskirts of nowhere. Butcher’s Crossing is packed with stressed males searching for how you can become profitable and how you can waste it. prior to lengthy Andrews moves up a friendship with certainly one of them, a guy who regales Andrews with stories of tremendous herds of buffalo, prepared for the taking, hidden away in a stunning valley deep within the Colorado Rockies. He convinces Andrews to affix in an day trip to trace the animals down. the adventure out is grueling, yet on the finish is a spot of paradisal richness. as soon as there, despite the fact that, the 3 males abandon themselves to an orgy of slaughter, so stuck up in killing buffalo that they lose all experience of time. iciness quickly overtakes them: they're snowed in. subsequent spring, half-insane with cabin fever, chilly, and starvation, they stagger again to Butcher’s Crossing to ﬁnd a global as irremediably replaced as they've been.
Read or Download Butcher's Crossing PDF
Best adventure books
Griffin has a mystery. It's a mystery that he's sworn to his mom and dad to maintain, and not inform. Griffin is a Jumper: somebody who can teleport to anywhere he has ever been. the 1st time used to be while he was once 5, and his mom and dad crossed an ocean to guard the key. The most vital time used to be while he used to be 9.
Upon first seeing its unforgiving rapids, 20-year-old tourist Mick O’Shea begun dreaming of a solo day trip down the Mekong River, from its resource in Tibet to the South China Sea. This exhilarating shuttle novel captures O’Shea’s tremendous harmful kayak experience into the unknown via distant gorges, terrifying rapids, and lethal whirlpools, previous floating headless our bodies, looming dams and terrifying chinese language squaddies.
Da Vinci's maximum and most threatening legacy…
In the midst of a lovers' quarrel on a Venetian bridge, a couple of paintings thieves loses a necessary, stolen Lorraine go to the canal's murky waters. Suspecting a connection among the move, Joan of Arc and da Vinci, Annja Creed's former mentor, Roux, sends the archaeologist to supervise the hunt for the lacking artifact. yet another person is aware in regards to the cross…knows sufficient to kill for it.
Despite a number of vicious assaults in the course of their underwater day trip, Annja and Roux's employed diver recovers the move. but if the diver's loyalties are known as into query and he disappears—along with the treasure—Annja is sure there's extra to the traditional item than Roux is letting on. She quickly discovers the move is just one piece in an problematic enigma—a key that, while mixed with a chain of musical notes, may perhaps release one among Leonardo da Vinci's so much fantastical innovations. however the fee Annja needs to pay to forestall this key from falling into the incorrect arms could be her lifestyles.
The secrets and techniques of the lifeless motivate the lethal rationale of the residing at the banks of the Amazon…
Deep within the Amazon jungle, a tribe holds the most important to the truest kind of dreaming—where the human spirit walks the petal-thin line among lifestyles and loss of life. In an intricate rite, the dreamer ingests a poisonous brew, then submerges herself in an natural bathtub that turns human epidermis a vibrant coloration of midnight-blue. And the event adjustments the dreamer forever….
Archaeologist Annja Creed has a whole staff in tow as her television exhibit, Chasing History's Monsters, prepares for an in-depth exploration of the rain forest's such a lot guarded secrets—including a paranormal baby and a slothlike beast with mouths and a unmarried eye. yet a chance to tread off the crushed course proves too tempting to disregard, and Annja leads her workforce into an uncharted international that's either alien and dangerous—a international that draws the morally corrupt with delivers of wealth and gear. an international that might thieve the single factor Annja must live to tell the tale: herself.
- The Icebound Land (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 3)
- The Chosen (Rogue Angel, Book 4)
- The Emerald Mile: The Epic Story of the Fastest Ride in History Through the Heart of the Grand Canyon
- Taken by the Wind
- Paddling the Everglades Wilderness Waterway. Your All-in-One Guide to Florida's 99-Mile Treasure plus 17 Day and Overnight...
Extra info for Butcher's Crossing
Always carry wind- and waterproof matches. The campsite without a wood fire is a cleaner, quieter place. The peace is welcome. The darkness is friendly. One’s attention is focused upon the stars, the trees, and the wind, rather than the campfire. Today’s superb selection of clean, hot, and easy-to-operate portable stoves for backpackers and paddlers provides many good choices. Consider which features best suit your most frequent style of wilderness travel. Liquid Fuel Stoves Liquid fuel stoves burn white gas (in North America), kerosene (everywhere else in the world), auto gas, or diesel.
1. Oil a 10-by-13-inch glass casserole dish. 2. Mix together in a large bowl: 8 cups puffed rice cereal 2 cups any variety nuts, chopped 3. Gently heat in a saucepan just until bubbling: 10 ounces English toffee bits � cup honey 4. Pour the toffee mixture over the cereal mixture. Mix well; then press firmly into the casserole dish. 5. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm. Bring to room temperature. 6. Cut into 24 squares. Wrap squares individually before storing at room temperature. 5 ounces 1.
5. Cut into 8 bars while still warm; then let them cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. 6. Store in individual serving-sized bags. Karen’s Oatmeal Breakfast Cake 16 servings Weight 1 serving = 4 ounces 1. Stir together in a large, heatproof bowl: 1 cup rolled oats � cup honey � cup canola oil 1 cup boiling water Let cool for 20 minutes. 2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil a 10-by-13-inch casserole dish. 3. Add to the oat mixture: 2 eggs � cup yogurt � cup packed brown sugar 1½ cups whole wheat flour 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ 2 tablespoons brewer’s yeast 2 tablespoons instant dry milk 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 1 teaspoon baking powder � teaspoon baking soda 1 cup any variety nuts, finely chopped Beat well.